Thursday 14 April 2016

Springing into action

Sunday looms, the local 10k.

I've plodded my way haphazardly through the winter, and suddenly my race is upon me. It's timed nicely against the Easter holiday which gave me opportunity to do a couple of longer runs.

In the first week I took advantage of already being in the car and drove to a park in a different part of town which offers flat along the river and some hills. I managed 11k aiming for stamina rather than speed.

The next week I drove to the river on the other side of town for a flat 10k+. The first half was a bit of a slog. I realised that my turning point was going to bring me close to the Co-op, so I paused my watch and headed in for a bag of crisps and Capri Sun. After consuming them on a bench, I resumed. The salt, sugar and water really pepped me up, and the second half was easier and I kept up a good pace despite a head wind.

Returning to work means a nicely timed rest week. Hopefully this will help ease out the tight calves that were being uncooperative. They put up a stubborn defence against the foam roller.

I've splurged on some new kit. Some birthday money was spent on trail shoes. They're already proving their worth in the mud. I also made the classic mistake of heading to Decathlon. The bar for the weights, and an aerobic step were planned. The skort and thermal leggings weren't, but I'll now have happy legs regardless of whatever extremes of weather spring throws at us.

In good news the bluebells are emerging in the wood. In bad news, rapeseed season seems to be starting...

No comments:

Post a Comment