Monday 28 February 2022

Tired of resting: time to restart?

 The frustrating thing about a niggling over-use injury is gauging when it's recovered enough to restart.

I had a false-start a month ago in early Feb when I attempted two C25k week 1 runs, but my tendon resumed its tired feeling, so I put my foot back up on the injury bench again. I can now feel my general fitness slipping and I miss the calorie burn from running!

So new term, new month(ish) and new "year" for me (just had a birthday) and I'm willing to test the ground again. I'm staring small. Really small. Smaller than C25k. Literally less than 0.5k around the block. 3 minutes. If I can do that little and often, keep the running muscles functioning and keep my body happy, that's then a base to be able to build up and segue into C25k down the line. Doing it directly after the school run when I'm warmed up from walking is easy to fit in.


I'm also trying to keep up a routine of doing the prescribed heel lifts on the doorstep when I return home at any time. Again it's a regular timing to fit in. It's not been easy trying to build and manage routines in the past couple of years and it's not surprising that it's now that an overuse injury has caught up with me when I've relied too precariously on my own dubious internal motivation and then had a congested race season. In a way the injury dragging out in the rest phase and clearly being nowhere at the fitness level I was at when it started is better as it helps with that back-to-basics attitude and cuts temptation to jump ahead of myself.




No comments:

Post a Comment