Tuesday 12 August 2014

13.1 wk2

Well there's a novelty, week 2 was a total sucess on the training plan. The days have been jiggled to take advantage of my natural routines, so some things like Buggy Babes naturally fill for cross training. Likewise,  Thursday is a natural rest day between my term time commitments. Having my daytime free at present, I took a trip to the swimming pool as that's a rare treat. Well the chance to swim is, I spend too much time dunking small children in and out of the water at their lessons. I have often wondered if squatting in the water holding 2 stones of child counts as a workout. Saturday turned out to be a rest day. The plan was flexible on rest or cross training,  and I sacrificed my usual circuits class so husband could catch up on his lost sleep from the previous weekend. It probably was the better option for my body which had worked hard and was grumbling a little around  the edges.

The actual running went well. The 30min easy run was familiar territory. Something new was the threshold run. I enjoyed the variation of that. Normally, I run a large loop and adapt the route as I go as my neighbourhood has many flexìble options,  but for the first time, I thought laps of a shorter route would work well to get the slope more consistent. I had a 50 min long run, not new but rusty. There were pauses for practical reasons, but I got away without proper walking,  a sign of progress compared to my fun run training. I varied my route on that heading out of my neighbourhood onto a cycle route.  That means a steep hill to return to my hilltop home! The weather was pleasantly mild and soďden, rather refreshing after the recent spell of heat and humidity.  I liked the contrast of minimal running clothing with the heavily dressed dog walkers!

Week 3 seems ok so far. The challenge will be adapting around a weekend away...

No comments:

Post a Comment