Sunday 3 August 2014

Operation13.1 is go!

Training is underway for October's half marathon, with 11 weeks to go.

The training schedule is on the fridge with a handy highlighter pen and pen nearby to keep track. Week one went well under the circumstances; the circumstances involving a holiday. No runs while away, but while the little people were asleep and under the care of granny, we managed to do a couple of brisk walks in the evenings that we weren't visiting family. I took some running clothes and shoes on the unlikely chance that I might use them which turned out well as my sister in law asked me along to her kettlebells class. That was a good session. I'm familiar with them from my usual circuits class, but it certainly worked my muscles.

I may not have managed all the runs on the schedule, but I did get a long run in. I took advantage of the little people being in nursery to run in the daytime. Unfortunately, I caught the half hour of the day when the sun came out blazing. I'd rather have caught the downpour that was half an hour after my return home! With my running being so erratic/ non-existent in the last two months, I went out with an open mind, and managed 52 minutes. Some of it was walked when the heat got overwhelming, but I'm happy with that.

I've been in sole charge of the little people while my husband has been away doing the three peaks challenge. This has meant a plan B rather than my usual circuits and running combination. Saturday also involved spending most of the day with family, so I'm rather pleased I snuck in a productive session on my somewhat underused exercise bike. I tried using a Tabata timing app which I quite enjoyed. Like most exercise bikes, it's neglected because I find it dull, but the short bursts of exertion made it feel more meaningful. I impressed myself with my home made tablet holder aka two elastic bands.

Today, I headed out to a country park. I had hoped for a brisk walk with the pram, but my 3 year old was in an active mood which slowed the pace. We did some exercises with the outdoor gym, benches and resistance bands in Buggy Babes style. He's currently obsessed with "running shorts" (won't do long trousers at present). He also packed his little rucksack with a resistance band and "running water bottle". When asked in the cafe if he'd been walking, he replied that he'd been running. The journey home resulted in an unusual double nap, which I exploited by doing some exercises from my magazine with the swiss ball. I even had a go on the trampoline!

So given that most of the week has involved being away, or being in sole charge of the little people, I think that's been a good start. Roll on week two...

No comments:

Post a Comment