Sunday 7 September 2014

13.1 wk6 Making Progress

It's been quite a straightforward sort of week. Buggy Babes was on, so that naturally ticked Monday off. Rest days are easy enough to achieve.

Wednesday was my penultimate day of the holidays so I took my 3 year out to a theme park. There's a kind of self powered monorail there that you i have to cycle round. I was on another ride and saw a rugby build type bloke puffing his way round and moaning about the difficulty of it but I decided to give it a go anyway. It was quiet up there,  and we were the only ones on there.  I has to slouch a bit to reach the pedals, but otherwise it was easy enough although a bit of resistance on the bends. As I pedalled back in, the attendant exclaimed, "you were quick!" I explained about the training and we ended up having a good chat about running.

I ended up doing my run at night. The plan said "easy 30 minutes with last 10 at threshold".I decided the easiest way to do that was to flip my routes round and do a long uphill at the end. I rather enjoyed it.

I had plans for Saturday,  so decided to do my 75 min run on Thursday.  It wasn't ideal tim7ng as my legs still felt low on fuel from running the previous night. It turned outbto ve a battle with some walking mixed in. On a positive note, my speed was better than my previous attempt when I also felt low on energy for different reasons.

I have dropped a run from the plan to allow rest days on Friday and Sunday.  Worth it in the grand scheme of things for Saturday was the day of The Big One North...

Most years my friend and I head up to Blackpool for a hedonistic weekend of yoga, pilates, aerobics, dance, HITT, circuits, spinning, zumba... if it's a fitness trend, it's there and being presented by the top people in the industry. Highlights have previously included aerial hoop and aerial yoga. This was our first go at a similar one day event hosted by the same people. So an early start  and trip to the English Institute of Sport in Sheffield,  was followed by 6 hours of pilates, Insanity, Areobics, kettlebells and a stretch class. I bailed out of the 3rd session when I had an energy crash 5 hours after breakfast, so we went to be revived by jacket potatoes before the big rush for lunch. I noticed that the main part of my body whinging was my hips from sideways movements that I've not done in a long time. I noticed little strain on my cardiovascular system, a very pleasing improvement on Blackpool back in March.

I've also been pleased at my tolerable levels of stiffness today. They've eased up with gentle activity through the day. I've resisted the urge to do anything more demanding, hoping to resume business as usual tomorrow.

I'm now halway through the plan.  Let's hope the second half is as successful.

No comments:

Post a Comment