Monday 29 September 2014

13.1 wk9: A little bit further

Wk 9 sounds scary. That's 2 months that I've been roughly sticking to my plan. That's the same amount of time you could do a C25k in (although mine was longer due to my fear of injury).  Now I have less than 3 weeks left. I'm at the peak of my training before the taper down. My goal of running a half marathon seems attainable,  whereas 9 weeks ago, it felt a very long way off. My previous maximum had been 8.2 miles in 1h 30 before life got in the way, so really I've been working on pushing my body through that second hour. From previous experience, I'll find it mentally easier on the day as I work with the herd, rather than being a solo battle of willpower.

This week's long run was indeed one of those. I think my body was still in sleep mode from the previous day, where I took the term "rest day" to extremes with 2x 2hr naps. I'd planned to go to circuits, but woke slightly later than usual,  and got as far as mostly dressed, and filled water bottle before totally failing to find my trainers. Naturally,  they turned up the next day in one of the places I'd already looked in.

The weather has become more autumnal,  which is lovely, but my legs seem to be finding it hard to warm up. I may need a change of routine there as I still follow the C25k plan of 5 mins brisk walk. My run on Friday night was chillier than I've known for many months, and being a short run, never really felt like my legs got flowing. Maybe it was my body's way of pointing out that most sensible people were heading for bed, not out for a run.

I had the same feeling again on the long run, not helped by my running early strategy meaning that I don't have time to fuel up well. I ended up pausing and stretching a few times. This shouldn't be an issue on race day as I'll be more mobilised by the process of getting there, and have digested some breakfast first. The first hour was a slog. A pretty, fresh, autumnal slog, but a slog none the less. Hour 2 was more enjoyable. The tipping point was running down hill, waving and clapping my hands above my head to Take That's Never Forget. I don't care if I looked like a lunatic, it was energising! At that point the run seemed to resume its regular level of effort, and my legs finally gained some momentum.

At some point along the way, my stop watch of running time got stopped. I have the time on my phone from leaving the house, but not the actual running time, so including warm up time, it was 2h 04 mins, and 10.25 miles. A little bit further once again. I know that on a better prepared day, I can push that speed by walking less,  and not needing to stretch so much, which again boosts my confidence.

I'm beginning to feel ready for the challenge...

No comments:

Post a Comment