Monday 13 October 2014

13.1 wk 11 Nearly Ready

Other than a gentle wind down, my training is now complete. 22 runs, cross training, and the type I haven't skipped... rest days! My training plan is now liberally coloured with florescent green for the days where I did something in line with the plan. I've stretched my limits from 8 to 12 miles, and explored a wider area beyond my neighbourhood. Some sessions just haven't worked out, mainly due to tiredness, but that was hardly surprising,  especially when the term started back up.

So... week 11... Starting on the heels of the Brownie pack holiday, I was pretty shattered, and had missed my regular slots for circuits and a 2 hour long run. The weather was grim, so two well waterproofed children and I went off to Buggy Babes. The car park was suspiciously quiet when we arrived. Then I checked my phone. Cancelled. Getting out of the house just after lunch requires dedication and perseverance, and I was not wasting that investment, so on we went. I even went beyond the usual 2 miles or so and did 5 miles. Husband was away for a couple of nights, so this was the best available method of keeping up, especially after the lull of a long weekend.

Another successful rest day... Then Wednesday's run. Some runs just aren't meant to be. I pushed myself out. I even wore my new winter kit, but my body just wasn't going to cooperate. That became evident early on. Frustrating, but no point in being upset over it. I went out, I tried,  exercise was done.

More rest. Then a sort of reversal of Wednesday,  I couldn't quite drag myself out before ridiculous o'clock,  so I stayed in, and utilised the dusty exercise bike, and did a session using a tabbata timing app (short, maximum effort intervals). The kind of 10 minute session that leaves your legs feeling wobbly. It was in the spirit of the suggested run.

Circuits. Regular instructor away. A bit more squatty than usual. Lots of weights. Left me paying for it on Sunday's long run. It'll be fine, but bad timing for that. I increased the suggested 60 minute run to 120 as compensation for missing last week. My alarm was set early, gear prepared the night before. My body was fuelled and ready for action... except for my thighs which stubbornly complained from the start and never loosened up. Every thing about the run was great. I even loved running through the fog as daylight crept in. Despite all the positives,  I increasingly had to walk. It wasn't worth the risk of pushing through and turning routine soreness into a proper injury.

So week 12 begins. I've been looking forwards to tapering down! I think my last proper run is done as I'm under full time childcare house arrest for most of the week, so I think it's time for exercise DVDs and the exercise bike. The only other thing to do is to wrap my head around the logistics. I'm as ready as I'll ever be, and I know how to prevent the hiccups that have got in the way during training.

13.1 miles... Bring it on!


No comments:

Post a Comment