Sunday 19 October 2014

13.1 The Main Event!

Sunday 19th October.  364 days since my first run. 12 weeks of focused training. The big day has arrived along with the knowledge that I have done what I reasonably can to prepare.  Priority 1 was to complete.  Priority 2 was to run the whole thing. Time wasn't a major concern.

My main concern on the morning was about the potential for my symptoms from being ill earlier in the week to return. From training, the rest was possible.

We got the train in in good time for my wave which was the last one. My brother who has much more experience was in one of the earlier waves. I joined the wave to start and joined in the warm up exercises. I was amused by the gender split in participation. The other half of the wave was first to start, then my time arrived. Official timing commenced as the chip on my trainer was identified on the start mat.

In the early miles, I was careful to keep my pace down. It was a mix of passing walkers and being overtaken. My first couple of miles are always uncomfortable,  and I tell myself that that's ok. I didn't spot the early mile markers. Reaching a water station at 3 miles was my first indication of distance.

Miles 3 to 7 were most enjoyable. I was in the zone, and the field had opened up. I reached the greatest  distance from the city centre before looping back. Running out, there were orange and white runners on the return leg. On my turn at that stretch, the last straggling walkers were ambling along. Towards the end of the stretch, the clean up on the outgoing side commenced.

My 10k leg time officially clocked in at 1hr 05 mins. In the second half, the going got tougher. Tired legs were to be expected. Sadly symptoms did return. Portaloos were utilised. So was emergency medication. After mile 10 it got too much,  and despite my best intentions and mantras to myself, I ended up having to walk. Jelly legs, I could deal with,  but abdominal cramps were too much.

Walking helped me maintain my posture and keep upright, and I managed to maintain a good pace, not much slower than my run, passing out most walkers and the occasional runner. I made a few attempts to resume running,  but it was too much.

I wasn't totally spent on energy, and managed to use up a final burst for the last 800m. Like the fun run, the last stretch was emotional, a mix of relief,  pain and exhaustion. I cried, and shouted myself along. My personal timing at the finish line was 2:32:44. Despite the walking, it was in the right league for my regular running pace. The actual run time without portaloo visits would have been under 2:30. Running it all would have been fabulous,  but that's just not the way it was going to be today. I'm still proud of what I've achieved.



So what next? Obviously some discomfort and rest,  but long term? I'm not saying never again, far from it, but I intend to pause on the half marathon distance. My main issue is training time. I can manage up to an hour fine, but beyond that is a big commitment against the demands of my family. Getting up and out around 7am to fit in two hours is not sustainable long term. Instead, I intend to focus on 10k for a few reasons.  It's more time friendly.  It will also improve my speed which is of long term benefit. I can redo the 8 mile fun run from that, and when I am ready to increase my distance again, that extra speed will be of benefit.

So time for a rest, then a half term holiday.  I will be back!

No comments:

Post a Comment